Thursday, March 24, 2011

Is the Internet Destroying Your Productivity? | MonsterThinking

This article on the benefits and distractions of using the internet made me think about my internet life in a new way. Coates, and editor at The Atlantic, is quoted as saying that it was fear, rather than procrastination, that was the root cause of his distraction.

I find when I have total confidence in what I’m doing, I spend little time online. I may view a few sites to get specific information I need, but then I’m off. When I’m not certain, I spend time surfing the web hoping to find that bit of information that will give me the confidence I lack.

This happens not only in relation to my work life, but in my personal life as well. The article pointed out that we can become driven to check sites, especially those where people can leave comments about you or something you wrote, because you get instant feedback about yourself. It's all about you. When I think about the times I would check a site several times a day to see if anyone left a comment, I realize now I was looking for someone to tell me that I'm ok, or, even better, that I'm a brilliant genius, the best thing since sliced bread, and the 8th wonder of the world!

I’ve convinced myself that wandering the internet soaking up information is like a plant soaking up fertilizer. It’s a good thing to do while I wait for an idea or project to take shape. But there is such a thing as too much fertilizer, and the plant dies. I need to find the balancing point between using the internet to help boost my creativity and productivity and the point where I’m so over saturated I can barely move.



Is the Internet Destroying Your Productivity? | MonsterThinking

No comments:

Post a Comment